Monday 27 August 2012

Kashgar, take one

After being in Mongolia, I had learned the importance of getting a jump on things if you want to plan on booking a cheap tour or sharing expenses, so I had two early priorities in Kashgar: one, to figure out how much time I had left on my visa, and if I was limited to 30 days since my last entry (most Chinese visas stipulate that you are only allowed to stay for 30 days, and if you want to stay longer you need an extension, while my visa didn't specify a length of stay limitation); and two, how much it would cost to enter Kyrgyzstan via the Torugart Pass (which requires both a permit and private transportation on both sides of the border) and Irkeshtam Pass.

Thus, after checking into the Pamir Hostel, I made my way to John's Cafe. The Uyghur operators there were pretty helpful, but said that it would cost $400 if you did the Torugart Pass solo, dropping to $150 if you shared with three or more people. This was more than I wanted to spend, so the next step was to find out how much the international bus to Osh would cost and when it left. I went to the international bus station, but the lineups were incredible, so I figured I would come back at a different time when hopefully it would be less busy (it's always busy, from what I can tell, and talking to someone would involve waiting for hours).

I then made it to Kashgar's PSB (public security bureau) office to enquire about my visa status. Althoug htey weren't open to actually do any processing, I managed to get the officer working there to take a look at my visa and let me know if I needed an extension if I wanted to stay for more than 30 days. He took a look, and said that since it didn't explicitly say I was limited to 30 days per entry, I could stay until the expiration of my visa. This was a relief, but it also came a bit too late, because I had essentially rushed my way through Xinjiang in order to make sure I would be able to exit the country if I had been limited to 30 days—had I knew I had more time in advance, I might have stayed a day or so longer in Tashkuragan and Karakul, as well as possibly spent more time on the edges of the Taklamakan desert.

_DSC8855
I saw this young Uyghur couple fighting in public, on a busy street near John's Cafe. This was really the first example of public violence I saw in China, and I stopped and looked to make sure it didn't escalate, taking a picture or two in the hope it would defuse the situation. She started pushing him and then he grabbed her neck, and then I stepped in to take his hand away from her neck. I'm not sure I would have done this in all places, but by now I think I had gotten a good enough idea of China to understand that this wouldn't be tolerated and that nothing would really happen to me for intervening. After the couple had calmed down, I was walking away and a older American approached me and asked if I was the Uyghur guy's friend, which he had somehow thought I was (I guess I can pass for Uyghur in an American's eyes).

_DSC8859
Is this simply a ripe bitter melon? You can eat the flesh around the seeds, but it was nothing special other than how it looked.

_DSC8861
Looking east from the Yingbin Road bridge over the Tuman river; the international bus station is just to the northwest of the bridge.

_DSC8863
Modern Uyghur family, walking south over the bridge.

_DSC8866
One of my first glimpses of the old city, from a major throroughfare below.

_DSC8875
I wasn't sure how accessible the old city would be, since I had read that some places charge admission, so I climbed a tree to get this shot. Locals looked at me like I was crazy. In about 15 minutes I would be just outside that house, talking with kids who lived there.

_DSC8877
Mother and child watching the sunset from their roof.

_DSC8886
Sunset watching is a popular pastime.

_DSC8890
Interesting foundations and supports shore up the hill. There was a path up the side of the hill, covered with gourd vines. I think I was supposed to pay to enter the area, but there was no one around to collect admission.

_DSC8900
I had been worried about the well-publicized Chinese policy of destroying the old city, and I had wondered how much would be left when I got there. Well, there was rubble and signs of destruction everywhere.

_DSC8906
And yet life carried on, with occupied houses sitting next to bulldozed rubble.

_DSC8908
Destroyed houses line the streets.

_DSC8909
Rubble reaches to the upper halves of doorways.

_DSC8911 - _DSC8912 equi
From the edge of the old city, in a bulldozed lot, with views of what the future of Kashgar looks like.

_DSC8918
Destruction all around.

_DSC8919
Living amidst ruins. Judging by the brickwork, this house is relatively new, and may be why it was spared: the official Chinese reason for the destruction is to improve building safety in light of the threat of earthquakes.



_DSC8921
A stove sits amidst the ruin.

_DSC8927
Scrambling up the ruins to the second floor.

_DSC8933
In some ways it looks like pictures of post-war European destruction.

_DSC8937
The house I photographed from below, where I ran into these Uyghur kids (or, more literally, they ran into me).

_DSC8941
They were really funny, and could pose almost as well as Han kids. So friendly, in a way that Han simply weren't.

_DSC8942
They all wanted to take turns in front of the tower.

_DSC8943
Note the building on the right had a modern concrete wall, and must have been destroyed and rebuilt recently.

_DSC8944
Frankie Morello's 1999 collection: big in Kashgar.

_DSC8950
Outside their entrance.

_DSC8956
Hennaed hands.

_DSC8957
Goofing off.

_DSC8969
Striking a pose.

_DSC8971
I let the kids use my camera and have some fun, and they enjoyed taking pictures of each other.

_DSC8973
As the sun was setting their mom came out and told me I should leave, so I started heading back down and towards Id Kah.

_DSC8991
Socializing in the twilight.

_DSC8992
I had to crouch on the ground with my little tripod to get this shot of a small mosque, as it was really dark. I ended up scaring some girl, who came out of her house on the left and then screamed really loudly when she saw me all huddled up on the ground around my camera and mini tripod.

_DSC9017
I went to a restaurant at the edge of the old town residential section, where it meets the night market. I put my camera on the table and the curious waiter asked if he could borrow it. I showed him how to use it and the took it around, and back into the kitchen, where he took this.

_DSC9021
The waitress in pink didn't want to be photographed, but he was persistent.

_DSC9023
Outside, in the night market.

_DSC9024
On the back of that moto are the Frankie-Morello boy and his sister, the hennaed girl; they shouted and waved as they passed.

_DSC9025
The night market, with strange kebabs, stuffed intestines, goat-head soups, and much, much more.

_DSC9028
The Id Kah mosque looks fairly small from the outside, but the inner courtyard and prayer are is quite large.

_DSC9030
The Pamir Hostel is just to the right of this plaza, which can fill with 40,000 or more people on  holy days.

The Pamir Hostel is on the top floor of a modern shopping building to the north of the Id Kah mosque. They have a variety of rooms, with the cheapest being simple dorms, slightly more expensive ones with bathrooms, and more expensive ones with air conditioning. At the end of August it was hot enough that lots of people were sleeping outside or on the roof, but I elected to stay inside (if you can get a room on the north side, they will be cooler). The rooms with bathrooms aren't worth it, as they are dirty like Chinese bathrooms tend to be, and offer little privacy since they don't have proper walls but simply tin and glass partitions: I used the communal bathrooms despite having a bathroom in my room.

They had a couple of new and fast computers with internet access free for guests to use, as well as wi-fi.

Like most hostel in Xinjiang, it's run by young Han. These Han actually seemed very respectful of Uyghur customs, and the girl who seemed to be in charge wore a headscarf, but it would still be nice to have more money going to local Uyghur.This is especially the case since the agent at the snack/drinks/news stand between on the corner of the night market opposite Id Kah spoke excellent English and told me that he was a University graduate, but was still working in a little shop. It's a shame that there aren't easier and better ways for tourists to support Uyghurs.

Day two

Although Kashgar is the largest Uyghur city in Xinjiang (Urumqi has always been a Han-dominated city), with a population of around 800,000, the old town has always been a relatively small area roughly centered on the Id Kah mosque. The area west of the mosque has been pretty heavily modernized, and the surviving pockets of the old town—where even the demolished areas are being rebuilt in traditiona-looking styles—are mainly to the east of the mosque.

_DSC9055
West of the mosque, religious buildings are the last to survive..

_DSC9060
But rebuilding is much more common. I believe this watermelon was protecting passerby from projecting rebar.

_DSC9062
Modern reconstruction is at least attempting to look traditional, instead of Chinese-style multi-story concrete blocks. I like the little tea kettle boiling on the corner.

_DSC9069
Modern materials in a traditional layout.

_DSC9072
A pocket of traditional buildings up a blind alley.

_DSC9074
Mud daubing on the walls.

_DSC9076
On the southern wall of the mosque are rows of shops.

_DSC9080
They mainly sell religious garments and artefacts.

_DSC9081
The entrance is relatively unimposing, but the mosque opens up considerably behind the walls: first into a large treed courtyard, with the covered prayer area at the western edge of the courtyard.

_DSC9091
South of the mosque is this new complex of shops and a tower, built in the customary Chinese tradition of pretending to respect local styles by putting lipstick on their modern pigs.

_DSC9093
An attractive building which I took to be either a religious building or the richly decorated home of a prosperous merchant.

_DSC9094
The lone survivor of a destroyed neighborhood.

_DSC9113
Chairman Mao looks over a square with all the personality and charm of Tiananmen—none whatsoever. But unlike Tiananmen, this square is always empty.

_DSC9116
The traditional blacksmith shops on the left used to be adobe and timbered, not the new and ornately tiled buildings you see today. In honesty, I can see it making some sense to modernize storefronts along busy streets, but less sense to modernize residential areas en masse.

_DSC9117
Only shrines survive.

_DSC9119
Modernized blacksmith shop.

_DSC9121
Richly decorated interior lurk beneath anonymous exteriors, as the rampant demolition reveals.

_DSC9123
Typical Uyghur woman in front of a shrine.

_DSC9126
Bulldozers in the old city keep up the destruction even on Sundays. I wonder if they do so on Fridays, the Muslim holy day, too.

_DSC9128
I think they sell watermelons here.

_DSC9129
There are only a few streets capable of allowing car traffic in the old city, and side streets off of them typically look like this.

_DSC9130
Market along a dusty main street. With the ongoing demolition an increasing number of streets are being widened and opened up to car traffic.

_DSC9133
Construction keeps up with the destruction. The recycling of old doors and windows will help mask the fact that  buildings are new and the result of destruction.

_DSC9134
This old door will be integrated into a new structure.

_DSC9138
I fear the ornate interior decorations will not be replicated in the replacement buildings.

_DSC9136
The results of older rebuilding efforts betray no sensitivity to local styles.

Sunday Livestock Market or Mal Bazaar

Kashgar has two famous Sunday markets. The first, the so-called Sunday Market, is actually a huge bazaar that is open every day. The second, the mal bazaar or livestock market on the outskirts of Kashgar, actually only happens on Sundays.

The livestock market has been relocated since I visited, but when I was there you could catch a (crowded) city bus from near the international bus station.

_DSC9141
Uyghur man and grandson ride their donkey cart full of onions into the city near the bus station.

_DSC9142
Roadside trees near the Mal Bazaar were a popular place to rest.

_DSC9147
Six days a week the livestock market is just a big, empty parking lot. On Sundays it turns into a huge collection of sheep, goats, cows, the odd yak and camel, food and drink vendors, and the people who want to buy them.

_DSC9155
Vendors selling what looks to be kvass—which is mildly alcoholic—in this dusty market. I wonder if it isn't something else, given the attire of those buying and selling it. Given the proximity of livestock, even I would be a little worried about hygiene.

_DSC9156
Fat-tail sheep are the only variety you are likely to see in Central Asia. Their asses bounce around in ways that would make Kim Kardashian jealous. All across Central Asia the fat is the prized part of the sheep, and so just about any dish made with mutton is likely to contain much more fat than Westerners are accustomed to. On kebabs and shahlyk, you usually have alternating chunks of meat and fat. They also sell kebabs that are only fat: don't make the mistake of seeing they are white and thinking they are chicken kebabs. In samsas, the fat content seems to vary between 20% and 60—and usually on the high end, which makes them pretty unpalatable to me.

_DSC9157
Some sheep are trimmed, while some have full coats. You will see some vendors using small scissors to trim and sculpt the wool on their animals' asses. My personal idea is that those that are trimmed are emphasizing how fat the tails are, and are sold for consumption, while those that are untrimmed are sold to be kept as livestock.

_DSC9161
Old man and his sheep.

_DSC9163
Sheep and goats are tied up head-to-head in long lines, but take it all in stride.

_DSC9166
Rows of livestock.

_DSC9168
That's a lot of sheep.

_DSC9170
Checking out the merchandise.

_DSC9179
I have no idea where they got that yellow tape from, but I like it.

_DSC9181
The cattle section was pretty small.

_DSC9182
Other than those long lines of tied-up livestock, I have a hard time telling who is selling and who has just bought.

_DSC9183
Big buyer, or just a late-arriving seller?

_DSC9186
She's carrying a sheep in her arms.

_DSC9189
Om nom nom.

_DSC9198
Interesting headgear on this old Uyghur.

_DSC9199
Trimming their sheep. Ass touchups will come later.

_DSC9204

_DSC9210
Midday prayer at the edge of the market, near the toilets.

_DSC9215
A recalcitrant yak being led to his new owner's truck.

_DSC9218
This camel wasn't too happy to be there, and was being sold because of a leg injury he had.

_DSC9221
Seeds and spices for sale, with a refreshment cart behind.

_DSC9223
Sharpening a knife on a hand-powered whetstone.

_DSC9228
Making sure the sheep are happy and well-fed. Maybe they're not for slaughter, then, but merely for presentation?

_DSC9235
They can carry up to 20% of their weight in their ass.

_DSC9237
Bringing home the mutton.

_DSC9239
How many sheep can you fit in a microvan? Quite a few.

_DSC9242
Some sheep are immediately slaughtered.

_DSC9246
Selling the intestines and offal.

_DSC9245
Old Uyghur man and his new sheep.

_DSC9252
Donkey carts leaving the market.

_DSC9258
Poplar-lined road just north of the market, while waiting for the bus back to town.

_DSC9259
Fields and mountains to the north.

Sunday Market

Kashgar's Sunday Market is actually open every day, and is supposedly the largest bazaar in the world. It's certainly very big, but even after visiting I had figured that this must be hyperbole and that places like Istanbul's Grand Bazaar must be bigger. Well, the tourist trap known as Istanbul's Grand Bazaar certainly isn't bigger—though I suspect that Tehran's Grand Bazaar could give it a run for the money—but Kashgar's Sunday Market remains a little disappointing if only because the buildings are modern and perhaps too well organized to capture the traveler's imagination. The market is divided into different departments, with each block of the market dedicated to a specific category, from blankets to silk fabric, to shoes, to electrical accessories, to hardware, to paint, and so on and so forth. This leads to a bit of monotony for the sight-seer, even if it is convenient to people who are actually shopping.

As a shopper, the biggest inconvenience is that all of the shops seem to sell the exact same thing. So while there may be over one hundred shops selling men's clothes, they all seem to carry the same fashions and styled. If you want a sweater with the Apple logo and the word "iPhone" emblazoned on it, you can get it at a hundred shops. If you want a pair of 100% cotton, khaki coloured pants, or a simply cotton button-front shirt, you will find zero shops that offer it. It's pretty much the same story throughout Central Asia: hundreds of shops, all selling the same goods... or at least that's how it seemed to me.

_DSC9262
Women's textile and trim section.

_DSC9263
Cheap, machine-made carpets.

_DSC9269
Cotton fabrics.

_DSC9273
Silks.

_DSC9275
Synthetic blankets.

_DSC9276
Ikat, or Atlas, silks.

_DSC9280
Spices and dried foods.

_DSC9281
Carpets and rugs.

_DSC9285
Cool and refreshing dogh—shaved ice, yoghurt, and sweet syrup that is mixed by pulling it in a bowl. I got it from a hugely popular stand outside the market, on the banks of the Tuman river. You can see how they prepare it in the video below.



_DSC9288
As I sat drinking my dogh and reading my kindle, I was approached by these two Uyghur guys. They weren't that impressed with the kindle (it's black and white and it only shows text?), but they wanted to trade for my Blundstone boots, even though there was a small tear where the uppers joined the soles (Blundstone Australia, amazingly, ended up sending a replacement pair to me in Kyrgyzstan). They liked my camera more and I let them use it to take some pictures.

_DSC9290
The edge of the Sunday market from across the Tuman river. There's another section of the old town on this side of the bridge.

_DSC9291
This section seems to have escaped destruction thus far.

_DSC9294
Perhaps because it's selling itself as a tourist zone (there's also an amusement park behind it), with plaques describing some buildings and inviting people in to visit various workshops (this one for hand-made pottery), and Uyghurs selling handicrafts in the streets.

_DSC9297
Uyghur kids having fun, with a cute little kitten.

_DSC9295
Hats for sale on the left. This kid without pants was unusual, as most Uyghur kids don't have the split pants the Han kids do, nor do they seem to urinate everywhere.

_DSC9300
I let these kids use my camera, too. So long as they wore the neckstrap (my camera and lens was pretty big and heavy, and kids have small hands), I was totally comfortable with letting them run around with it.

_DSC9307
Another picture by one of the Uyghur kids.

_DSC9308
I'm in the background there.

_DSC9313
Showing them my kindle.

_DSC9314
Pretty good picture for a young kid.

_DSC9319
Interesting entrance.

_DSC9320
Small mosque. Apparently the hexagonal street tiles indicate that the street is a through-street, while other shapes indicate it is a dead end.

_DSC9321
Uyghur woman selling handicrafts.

_DSC9326
Much of the character of the old town is due to the inability of cars to navigate it.

_DSC9329
Colourful entranceway.

_DSC9331
But there's some demolition occurring even in this district.

_DSC9332
You'll be invited into some old homes to look around, but there's inevitably some light pressure to buy a souvenir hat or something at the end. I wonder if they don't purposefully make their homes look poorer to generate sympathy (the ornate decoration you see in the interiors of demolished houses suggests that they aren't as poor as they might appear from the outside).

_DSC9339
Goat heads are a common Uyghur offering at night markets.

_DSC9341
Skewers simmer.

_DSC9346
Banpanji—a small serving of Dapanji ("big plate of chicken")—for dinner.

_DSC9347
Melon and naan vendors line the streets next to the night market.

_DSC9348
The typical large naan with baskets of bagel-naan in front.

Day 3

On the third day I decided to see the tomb of Afaq Khoja, which has huge religious significance for the Uyghur and huge propaganda significance for the Chinese government. Whereas the Uyghur have traditionally viewed Khoja as a great Sufi religious leader, for the Han the mausoleum is mainly of interest as the final resting place of the fragrant concubine, whose extraordinary beauty bewitched the Qianlong emperor. This official Chinese narrative fits neatly with the Han exoticism of—and objectification of—Uyghur women, while also emphasizing the long Chinese interest in this far-west outpost.

Interestingly, there has been a recent reinterpretation of Afaq Khoja among the Uyghur as something of a traitor to the people—a reinterpretation that has been seen by some as a response to Chinese co-opting of him for their own nationalistic purposes.

_DSC9352
Melon specialist.

_DSC9355
Produce galore.

_DSC9356
Even buildings outside of the traditional old town are being destroyed, such as this one near the mausoleum for Afaq Khoja.

_DSC9361
There's a mosque next to the mausoleum, with richly decorate pillars.

_DSC9363
An arched and patinated entranceway.

_DSC9371
A Uyghur in the open-air mosque.

_DSC9372

_DSC9373
Gorgeous camel for tourist pictures.

_DSC9375
The mausoleum. Inside ore the tombs of Afaq Khoja and many of his descendants.

_DSC9377
Tilework on the exterior. In many places there are clear signs of older, clumsy restorations, and it's difficult to imagine what it originally looked like.

_DSC9381
Many of the tiles are missing.

_DSC9387
There was a small side garden with irrigation ditches, from which this picture was taken.

_DSC9396
Dusty rose bushes in front of the tomb.

_DSC9402
Only a few tiles remained on the dome. I believe the mausoleum has been substantially restored since I was there.

_DSC9404
Richly-decorated interiors gone forever.

_DSC9407
Street-side sunflowers on the way back from the mausoleum.

_DSC9409
Small mosque in the old town.

_DSC9411
Naan-making tools. Rolling pins and small stamps used to emboss the patterns in the middle of the bread.

_DSC9412
Chinese-medicine supplies, from snakes and starfishes to dried frogs.

_DSC9414
I'm not sure if Uyghur have adopted Chinese medicine, but this was in a Uyghur-dominated market.

Now that I knew I wasn't subject to a 30-day limit on my visa, I had extra time to play with: instead of having to leave by the 30th, I could stay until much later, if I so desired. I decided to take advantage of the extra cushion by re-visiting Hotan to see the silk workshop and Asim Imam tombs. I thus booked a ticket on the night bus to Hotan, left my bag at the hostel, and left for another daytrip to the city.

Budget

August 26: 142 yuan
  • Pamir Hostel: 50 yuan
  • City bus: 3 yuan
  • Drinks: 23 yuan
  • Naan: 1 yuan
  • Medicine for my still-sore throat: 20 yuan
  • Banpanji: 45 yuan
August 27: 156 yuan
  • Bus to Hotan (no AC): 85 yuan
  • Afaq Khoja ticket: 20 yuan
  • Cake and donut: 10 yuan
  • Drinks: 21 yuan
  • City bus: 2 yuan
  • Dinner—suoman: 18 yuan






No comments:

Post a Comment